This coming week, Grand Rapids students will be headed back to school and police departments are reminding drivers about bus safety tips.
The most important rule is to SLOW DOWN and don’t be distracted while driving.
- Follow school buses at a safe distance, they make frequent stops.
- Yellow flashing lights indicate that the bus is preparing to stop to load or unload children. Motorists should slow down and prepare to stop their vehicles.
- Red flashing lights and extended stop arms indicate that the bus has stopped, and that children are getting on or off. Motorists must stop their cars and wait until the red lights stop flashing, the extended stop sign is withdrawn, and the bus begins moving before they can start driving again.
- You must stop in both directions when approaching a bus with Red flashing lights. This is commonly overlooked.
- Traffic Enforcement officers will be monitoring school traffic to prevent pedestrian related accidents.
- Watch for children arriving late for the bus stop who may run into the street.
- Pay particular attention to children walking where there are no sidewalks.
- Take extra care when entering or exiting driveways.
- Beware of children darting out from between parked cars.
Source: WOODTV8, Grand Rapids